Let us consider this singing bowl as representing our deep story as Presentation Sisters, and the wooden clangour as representing the pressing needs of our world in this specific time and place. In her time Nano brought the gift that God had given her to meet the need for education of poor children and so transform her society.
She struck the gong, and the sound still reverberates around the world.
It reverberates in each one of us,
we carry it on,
and so it still sounds today .
Today new urgent needs in Ireland and across the world require a new sounding of the Gong.
Sr Carol Zinn has asked an important question: “What should we be doing for the future of the charism?”
NANO NAGLE LETTERS
Download all of Nano Nagle’s letters in one PDF HERE
Download Letters to Miss Fitzsimmons
Download Letters to Miss Mulally
Download Other Letters
|1: – 17 July 1769||8: – 29 September 1776||17: – 21 May 1784|
|2: – Early In 1770||9: – 21 August 1777||18: – 27 October 1785|
|3: – 29 April 1770||10: – 24 August 1778||19: – 31 March 1786|
|4: – 13 May 1770||11: – 31 October 1778||20: – 28 October 1788|
|5: – 10 July 1770||12: – 16 December 1778||21: – 7 November 1788|
|6: – 28 September 1770||13: – 17 March 1779||22: – 1 October 1791|
|7: – 17 December 1770||14: – 30 October 1779||23: – 26 June 1794|
|15: – 29 July 1780||24: – 12 June 1800|
|16: – 31 January 1783||25: – 2 July 1801|
|26: – 31 August 1801|
|27: – Between 1800 & 1804|
|28: – 13 December 1788|
PRESENTATION CHARISM & SPIRITUALITY
In 2009 Marlette Black pbvm, IPA Networker, was asked by the Presentation Sisters in the Philippines to provide them with some input and reflections to assist them in making a Retreat on Presentation Charism and Spirituality. She was asked by the IPA Leadership Team to consider releasing the notes for general use and she very kindly agreed to do so.
Copies of her notes for the Retreat and of the Reflection Sheets to be handed out after each presentation are may be downloaded below. You will find them a wonderful resource if working with a grooup in reflecting on Presentation Charism and Spirituality.
The booklet has been prepared to suit both A4 and US paper size and has been formatted to suit 2-sided copying. The booklets can be found above the Table of Contents, which indicates the nature of the content of each section. The complete booklet is just 2MB in size and should download quickly. However, the booklet is also available in sections for those who do not have broadband or for those who may wish to download a particular section only – these smaller sections are available below the Table of Contents. Thanks to Cathy O’ Keefe for making the smaller sections available.
Part 1 Charism & Mission
- Charism & Mission
- Nano – the face of God’s mission to those made poor
- Reflection 1: Summary; Luke 4:16-30; Nano’s Christmas Dinner
Part 2 Presentation Charism A
- Types of Charism
- The four distinctive characteristics of Nano’s charism
- Passion for the poor and for changing structures
- Trust in Divine Providence Confidence (in God)
- Reflection 2: Summary; reflecting on incidents in Nano’s life
Part 3 Presentation Charism B
- Charism emerging from the history of the congregation
- Stories of those who carried the fire…
- Where is your passion …
- What sustains the passion…
- Thanks & Blessing
- Reflection 3: The Garment Story
Part 4 Presentation Charism C
- Biblical Reflections underpinning Presentation Charism
- Sabbath/Exodus/Right Relationships (Monarchy)/Exile
- Israel’s ethical vision/ Jesus as Prophet of Jubilee
- Reflection 4: Jubilee Themes in Nano’s Life
Part 5 Presentation Charism D
- The Option for the Poor in Scripture and Catholic Social Teaching
- The Option for the Poor
- The Option for the Poor in Scripture
- The Option for the Poor in the New Testament
- The Option for the Poor in Church Social Teaching/Encyclicals
- The Option for the Poor – Our Challenge
- Reflection 5: Quotes, Stories and Questions – what is calling you?
Part 6 Presentation (Charism and) Spirituality
- Spirituality – what is it?
- Spirituality – some key elements
- Spirituality is about life (NK: spirituality is about being – being in communion)
- Spirituality is about being attentive (Serving Girl at Emmaus)
- Spirituality is about being intentional
- Spirituality is transformational
- Nano Nagle’s Spirituality
- What was she attentive to?
- How did she cultivate attentiveness?
- How was she intentional?
- How was her spirituality transformational?
- Reflection 6: We stand on holy ground when ……(When did Nano do these/ When do we)
Part 7 Heart Spirituality & Temple Spirituality
- Change of Congregational Name
- Heart Spirituality (& Compassion)/ Woman of Welcoming Heart
- Temple Spirituality – The Presentation
- Temple Spirituality – God’s Dwelling Place (in Jesus)
- Nano as the eye and heart of God
- Our Call…..to become his loving gaze and compassionate heart
- Song: Standing Before Us
- Reflection 7: Which Nano Story speaks to you about Heart & Temple; how are these given expression in your congregation/ area/ community