From 6 to 18 November 2022, the governments who are parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change will convene in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt for the conference widely known as “COP27.” Sharm el-Sheikh sits on the Sinai Peninsula, the land held sacred by followers of Abrahamic religions as the place where God appeared to Moses and called him to a mission of liberation. On each day of this conference, you are invited to pray in solidarity with the whole Earth community and, in a special way, with the Catholic Sisters, Brothers, priests, and other faith leaders who will be advocating for environmental justice in the UN proceedings on the Sinai Peninsula.
Shoeless in Sinai digital pilgrimage
The Justice Coalition of Religious (JCoR) – Justice at the heart of global transformation have put together a suggested programme of activities and prayer opportunities as part of a ‘digital pilgrimage’ entitled ‘Shoeless on Sinai to COP27’. You can see the full schedule of activities for participation at this link HERE and you can also download the information flier Shoeless-on-Sinai_Virtual-Events-Daily-Prayer-for-a-Digital-Pilgrimage-to-COP27-1
It is suggested that you carry the inspiration and passion you draw from the prayer into an action of advocacy for Earth. Consider tagging your local or national government in an original social media post or one from JCoR’s Guide to COP27. Include the hashtag #Sisters4OurCommonHome and others in the JCoR guide. Consider posting a photo of yourself in prayer (or just your bare feet) with a message or idea that came to you while praying the daily sequence for a fruitful COP27 process.
Daily Prayer Sequence
It is also suggested that you find time each day to remove your shoes and move through the prayer sequence below. Pray at your convenience or, if you are able, consider praying at either the hour that the official COP27 programme will commence each day. Times are listed on the links above.
- Situate yourself for prayer by removing your shoes. If possible, go outdoors to pray with your bare feet on the earth and/or orient yourself in the approximate direction of Sharm-el-Sheik Egypt. Alternatively, if you happen to live in convenient proximity to a government building or UN office, you might engage in prayer outside that building on one or more days of the pilgrimage.
- Read/view the day’s reflection from the COP27 Reflection Calendar created by the Dominican Leadership Conference.
- Enter into at least one full minute of contemplative silence, remaining in silence as long as you wish.
- Conclude with this prayer below.
You can download a pdf document of the Prayer Calendar with an e-link to each day’s reflection COP-27-Calendar-1
Shoeless on Sinai
Earth, our common home, is crying out to us through famines, floods, and fires.
“Remove your shoes of ignorance. You stand on holy ground.”
Earth, our community, is being forced to move away from the spaces that have nurtured our families for centuries.
“Remove your shoes of apathy. You stand on holy ground.”
Earth, our common home, is calling us to recognize the true wealth we are squandering in the pursuit of human-made currency.
“Remove your shoes of greed. You stand on holy ground.”
Earth, our community, is being crushed in every society and ecosystem by excess or deprivation.
“Remove your shoes of individualism. You stand on holy ground.”
Earth, our common home, cannot wait any longer for us to…remove our shoes and recognise that we live on holy ground.
(If it serves you, spend another minute repeating the mantra “Remove our shoes. We stand on holy ground.”)
Resource Documents in relation to COP27
Whether you are planning to participate in United Nations processes and programs in-person or virtually, JCoR has provided some useful resources to help inform your advocacy efforts. You can explore the most recent UN conference guide in this link above.
PLEASE NOTE: All UN conference guides are uploaded in advance, to allow ample time for dissemination across our networks. Please check back, closer to the official event, for additional information and updates.
The Conference Guides provided include:
- JCoR Guide to COP27 :27th Conference of the Parties on Climate Change, 6-18 November 2022
- JCoR Guide to 77th Session of the United Nations General Assembly, 13-26 September 2022 (UNGA77)
- JCoR Guide to High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, 5-15 July 2022
- JCoR Guide to UN Ocean Conference, 27 June – 1 July 2022
- JCoR Guide to International Migration Review Forum, 17-20 May 2022 (IMRF).
- Guide to United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, 25 April – 6 May 2022 (UNPII21)